Marine Lorphelin advises you before leaving

Marine Lorphelin advises you before leaving

Should you consult your doctor before going on vacation? Not necessarily, but I advise you to do so. It’s always good to consult your doctor once a year, and why not before going on vacation, to check your overall state of health. He can also prescribe treatments if necessary and especially update your vaccinations! In particular the anti-tetanus vaccine which protects you in the event of a dirty wound and which must be repeated regularly.

On the other hand, I strongly urge you to consult if you are pregnant, if you have young children or if you take regular treatment. We sometimes receive patients at the last minute because their prescription has expired so think about it!

Is there a medicine kit to prepare? There is no point in overloading yourself with medication if you go to France where you will always find a nearby pharmacy. But it is true that if you go abroad, I advise you to provide some basic tools and medicines, for you or your children: enough to make bandages with disinfectant, compresses, a pair of scissors, pliers to depilate… have paracetamol in case of pain or fever as well as some treatments in case of digestive disorders type antidiarrheal and antiemetic.

Also think about mosquito repellent, choose a product suitable for each member of the family. And finally, even if it seems obvious, don’t forget sunscreen with complete UVA UVB protection.

And for a pregnant woman ? Does she need to take any special precautions? A pregnant woman should consult her doctor, gynecologist or midwife before any extended stay in order to be advised. We know that traveling after 8 months of pregnancy is risky. Moreover, airlines refuse pregnant women over 36 weeks of amenorrhea. In any case, it is better to avoid abroad, where the risks of infection are higher and to favor a destination close to your home in the event of an emergency.

As for long journeys, they are easily complicated, with venous insufficiency with the appearance of edema in the lower limbs, the legs swell from excess water, all the more so in pregnant women and in the event of significant heat. In these cases, compression stockings will be your best allies.

If we go on a trip abroad, how do we know which vaccine we should do? You will find plenty of practical information on the health risks of the country you are visiting on the Institut Pasteur website. Precautionary instructions, high-risk areas, malaria and any vaccines required to enter certain countries. It is necessary to know how to anticipate these vaccines which are only carried out in international vaccination centers with an injection deadline to be respected. The list of centers is available online at

I will give you a few examples: the vaccine against hepatitis A is generally recommended in countries where hygiene is precarious; the yellow fever vaccine is recommended or even compulsory in certain intertropical countries of Latin America or Africa, it is given in a single dose at least 10 days before departure.

The editorial staff recommends

The news by the RTL editorial staff in your mailbox.

Thanks to your RTL account, subscribe to the RTL info newsletter to follow all the news on a daily basis


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.